Monday, May 19, 2014

Working for the Weekend

This weekend may have been one of the more productive weekends to date. Let me preface this with the fact there was wine and shopping involved. Not to mention the benefits of our hard work definitely outweigh my serious case of the Mondays.



I hosted my first ever garage sale on Friday and Saturday. My mom had her share of yearly garage sales all through my childhood, so I am no garage sale virgin; but this was the first one in our home. I didn't really know what to expect. I was told that our citywide garage sales bring pretty good traffic. My main goal wasn't to make a ton of dollhairs, but rather clean out the clutter from our house. I still had jeans from my early college years. Sorry size 4 jeans... this booty is never going to fit in you again.

My mom showed up Thursday afternoon and we got to work setting up. I was pretty surprised with how much stuff we had. But then again, I really shouldn't have been, we are both shopaholics! Here are a few photos taken Thursday night in the midst of setting up.

I think it's safe to say  change my wall decor often. 

I promise I still have a full closet! 



Did I mention I love dresses?!


Apparently I really like bags and swim suits too! 


At least books are a justifiable expense... right sweet husband??


When it was all said and done we made just under $1000! Not too shabby for clothes we don't wear any more, some small furniture and home decor. We still had a good amount left at noon on Saturday but we decided to donate what was left. The best part is there isn't a thing in our house we don't currently use! AHHH! It's like a breath of fresh air!



Saturday my mom and I went to some local greenhouses. My parents birthday gift to me was purchasing plants/flowers for around the house and teaching me how to rid myself of a black thumb for good!

We spent all day Sunday planting and weeding while my amazing husband laid mulch and did other various home improvement things in the yard! I absolutely love how the planters turned out! They are so ME, and just the pop of color our yard needed.

I am still so clueless about gardening but I feel a bit more confident with the basics. I took the photos at sunset. I love the soft lighting! Note to self... take more photos outside at this time of day!

Check out our progress:


We took out an ugly evergreen bush under the front windows. Looks so different and so much less dated! 

New planters thank to my mama!

In place of the bushes we planted boxwood plants in the back and purple phlox in front of it. I plan to grab some annuals to add pops of color tomorrow after school. This gardening thing may just become a hobby yet! 

Can't wait for my hydrangeas to bloom on the side of the house! 

The Midwest Manor (HA!)

New mulch! 

Hunky Husband. Not impressed that I wanted to take his picture after almost 12 hours of yardwork. 

My favorite tree... a non-fruit bearing pear tree! So pretty! 

You'll find me here in June, July and August! 

Bucky Badger weather vane from my parents. 


A HUGE thank you to my mom for helping me weed the back of our yard. It doesn't seem big until you are on your hands and knees pulling weeds!

Flowers and Herbs... Mint for mojitos and moscow mules, and cilantro for summer salsa!

Little sitting area on the deck. 

Next up... a bunch of our friends are coming to stay with us for Memorial Day weekend! I am super excited to relax and have some good fun with them! 4 more days until the weekend! Did I mention there are only 13 school days left?! Can I get an AMEN??





1 comment:

  1. Cute blog. I would have stopped at your rummage, you had some cute stuff that I would have definitely bought. The house looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips